Poster and Leaflet for Hunger Striker, Bobby Sands who stood in the Fermanagh South Tyrone by-election held on the 9 April 1981. He won by 30,493 votes to 29,046 for the Unionist candidate Harry West.
The Hunger Strike centred around the “Five Demands”:
1. the right not to wear a prison uniform;
2. the right not to do prison work;
3. the right of free association with other prisoners, and to organise educational and recreational pursuits;
4. the right to one visit, one letter and one parcel per week;
5. full restoration of remission lost through the protest
Bobby Sands died on the 5th of May 1981.
many thanks to the donor.
[…] Bobby Sands -”Anti H-Block / Armagh Political Prisoner” – 1981 Fermanagh South Tyrone by elect… * Liam Burke -Sinn Fein -1992 Cork South-Central * Bernard Connolly, Vincent McDowell, Joseph […]
This is an extraordinarily difficult political, ethical problem not well treated in most blogs. I would enjoy reading come informed critical writing on how the political arm of the IRA used the hunger strikers for cynical political purposes. Peace. william wjholland.wordpress.com